- Technical Subject knowledge - Need not be expert in all areas, but need to understand things well enough to make better decisions.
- Be assertive, not aggressive though.
- Be cool under pressure.
- Ability to delegate tasks.
- Conduct meetings effectively (proper agenda, starting/ending on time, insisting full participation etc.,).
- Empathy - Understand and relate to individual's issues.
- Body language and tone is important (sometimes more than content).
- Tone is very important in meetings, conference calls and even on the email.
- Smile (even on the phone) helps a lot.
- Different people in the team want/appreciate different things. Need to understand that and communicate appropriately. There is no one way to communicate to a big diversified team.
- Create a positive atmosphere for the team and promote collaboration.
Sunday, October 3, 2010
Effective Leadership/Communication skills needed for a Manager
Recently, I got promoted to a development manager and being primarily a technical guy before, I'm trying to improve my leadership/communication skills. Below is my personal notes (gathered from various sources) on the qualities to possess to become a great manager.